Wrecclesham 7 - Deepcut Community 5

Wrecclesham moved through to the quarter finals of the Intermediate League Cup with an emphatic victory over league rivals Deepcut Community.

Wrecclesham started the game in control with Ricky Pearce dictating the tempo with midfield partners Ollie Temple and Axel Galvani and it was Pearce who opened the scoring after the Wolves burst down the left flank and striker Nick Sims squared the ball across goal for Pearce to drive home from close range in opening exchanges. Their opponents replied quickly and when the Deepcut Striker beat the offside trap, and the Wolves defence did well to get back goalside but were unable to stop the Striker levelling the scores with a decent strike with 10 mins gone.

Wrecclesham pressed on and with both Deepcut centre-backs leaving the field through injury before the game was 20 mins old Wrecclesham soon won a penalty when inside forward Mike Newton, driving in to the box from the flank, was bought down leaving the referee with no choice but to award the spot kick. Pearce was tasked with beating the Keeper from 12 yards and did so with a fierce drive low to the keepers right with the stopper getting fingertips to the shot but unable to prevent the ball finding the back of the net to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

The Wolves then lost their own Centre back Liam Gardener shortly after having received a stray kick to the ankle. This didn't disrupt Wrecclesham though, with Elliot Worsell coming on to replace the injured centre back and Ollie Temple dropping back into partner captain Luke Wainwright in the defence. With 35 mins in the clock the Wolves had themselves some breathing space when Nick Sims added a third after being put through on goal target by Ricky Pearce, and just before half time the Wolves were in full control when Alex Rigby benefitted from Striker Sims unselfish play having made space along the dead-ball line, again the striker got his head up and squared for Rigby to tap in from close range to make the score 4-1 at half time.

After a quick break Wrecclesham took to the field looking to continue in the same manner and they opened the second half scoring promptly, with Sims latching on to a through ball from Pearce from inside their own half after Elliot Worsell and won the ball back. Running on to the bouncing ball 25 yards from goal Sims's strike on the half volley sailed over the goalkeeper and into the net. 5-1 to the Wolves! Although not for long, as Deepcut pulled back a goal moments later after a driving run and cut in down the wing was blasted past Wolves stopper Aaron Hall into the top corner.

Wrecclesham started to make a few changes and Alex Rigby playing further forward on the wing this week made way for Noah Rubio to try and stretch the tiring Deepcut defence. The fresh legs made a difference but it was Sims and Newton who linked up for the Wolve sixth of the afternoons. Sims received the ball from the midfield and split the defence for Newton to race onto to make the scores 6-2. Shortly after Warren Thompson and Kane Knight came on to replace Newton and Galvani respectively.

Wrecclesham wrapped the game up in style after 75 mins with Sims grabbing his hat trick after Elliot Worsell's cross found the striker, who rifled in a volley from inside the box to seal the win and score Wreccleshams seventh! A few late changes saw Wrecclesham lose a bit of their swagger and disrupted their play allowing Deepcut to capitalise with 3 late goals although the Wolves were never in any real danger of surrendering their lead.



Last updated almost 2 years ago