Wrecclesham 5 Bourne Blades 2

After consecutive victories in their previous Division 2 league games Wrecclesham came into this League Invitational Cup game against Division 3 Bourne Blades high in confidence ahead of the local derby game.

Straight from the kick off Wrecclesham pressed high and harried the opposition into long balls from their defence when ever they were not in possession but didn't retain the ball as well as they might in the opening 15 mins, although this didn't stop the Wolves taking an early lead when Ricky Pearce prodded the ball under the keeper and just over the line from inside the box after some good build up play on 10 mins emphasising the managers wish for the ball to be played on the floor.

As the half progressed, Wrecclesham settled into the game and started to move the ball around the pitch nicely with some smart passing and slick one-twos. But for all their endeavours to get a second goal they had to wait until just before half time when Drew Unsworth's corner kick found its way through a host of players in the box and deflected off a Bourne Blades boot and into the bottom corner to leave the scores at 2-0 at half time to the Wolves.

The second kicked off and it was more of the same with Wrecclesham forcing the turnover of possession almost straight away. This led to a sustained period of pressure on the Bourne goal and eventually the pressure told with Alex Worsell skipping past a few challenges and rifling home on 55 mins.

Shortly after saw a number of substitutions for both teams which disrupted the pace of the game for Wrecclesham and Bourne did grab a goal back from a corner shortly after the hour mark although this seemed to refocus The Wolves who started to dominate proceedings again. And with 70 mins on the clock Alex's brother Elliot Worsell was on the score sheet after some fantastic build up play in the Bourne half saw the ball worked out wide and the younger Worsell brother drive into the six yard box to stab the ball home to restore Wrecclesham three goal advantage.

Undeterred by the score line Bourne piled more men forwards in search of a goal and got their reward after a counter attack saw the Bourne race through 3v3 against the Wolves defence and into the hosts box to snatch a consolation goal late on. The Wolves though were not finished themselves and pressed hard for a fifth which came just before the final whistle. Another dominating spell of possession in the Bourne half saw Bourne score their second Own Goal of the game after a cross from the left hand side of the pitch was steered in to the bottom corner from the edge of their own box from one of the Bourne defenders head. A great finish although the Bourne will be wishing it was at the other end of the pitch.

All round a deserved victory for Wrecclesham which sees them through to the next round of the cup which will kick off again next year. A very tough decision this week for man of the match with everyone putting in a fantastic shift but it goes to Elliot Worsell who's industrious display in the centre of the park was phenomenal and topped off with a well deserved goal.

R. Pearce, O.G., A. Worsell, E. Worsell, O.G.

Elliot Worsell

Last updated about 2 years ago